Good Morning Anstruther. Each morning we go to the window as soon as we wake up to see if the ice is gone, once again, we have ice.
The air is very still, the sky is very blue and there is lots of sunshine...so all the things mother nature needs to bring our lake back are in her back pocket today.
It is april 12th, just after 6pm. Not only do we still have ice but we had snow briefly. Lets hope the wind doesn't visit anstruther.
What a long wait. The ice is still here. Smaller than yesterday but it is hanging in much longer than we expected. As you can see in the photo, the colour is very dark.
We have had many calls about launching boats...the process leading up to launching and use of slips takes many hands.
We will be open all weekend including Friday but for sales only. Our yard staff will not be in.
Many clients have been asking about timing for launching and use of their slip...There are things we need to do before any boats may go into slips...we have to launch the marina boats as they are used to re-engage the slips/boathouses to shore. Boathouses were disconnected at the end of last season to reduce the risk of damage. At the moment, they are a distance from shore. We also need to complete repairs to boathouses/slips for safety before we can allow client use.
We will work as quickly as we can and barring any major damage to the boathouses, you can expect it will take 3-5 working days from the day we lose the ice. This is also conditional to weather, if it is pouring rain or the winds are strong, there will be a delay for obvious safety reasons. Launching will follow the order that slip agreements were received.
This is the view for April 11, 2017 at about 11am. Looks like the ice is stubborn and didn't leave yesterday.
It is very dark but still a very large in diameter. It appears that there is water between the island and shore as well as on the right side (not in the photo) near the sunken island.
Will we lose the ice today?
It's starting to look like it could happen.
This photo was taken just before 4pm today, April 10, 2017. The skies went dark soonafter this photo was taken and the rain began.
It's still raining and there is now a mist of fog toward the marina from the south end of the lake.
The webcam is still down but for those curious to see the lake conditions now, we have attached a photo. As you can see from the photo below (taken last night at about 7pm), the lake is ready to go any day. The remaining ice is dark and there is much water at shore's edge.
We expect with the mild temps predicted for today, it could be today or tomorrow.
Cottagers are anxious to get back to their cottages, the calls and emails have started already "launch my boat". We will see a nice early start to the season. While a request to launch the day the ice goes is not unusual, we can't do it that fast but will do asap. Please know that while we will launch as quickly as we can, marina boats are the first to be launched so that we can place the marina docks/slips back to their regular home and no boat can go into a slip until we have completed repairs to any damaged marina docks or ramps. So in reality, launching of client boats will probably not begin for at least a couple of days after we lose the ice.
You can see that we are ready with our work pontoons on the shore's edge just waiting for the ice to go so we can launch right away.
Snow is pretty much gone except for the odd clump that has seen only shade.
It is april 7th and the lake is still covered in ice. It's been almost a week since the last crossing. There is about 5' of water between the ice and the shore's edge. The ice has turned dark but not uniformly across the whole lake. As some of you know, Katchawanooka and Chemong lost ice over a week ago but Anstruther is always the last to go. We had about 1/2" snow last night and it was cold but warm weather is expected next week so, soon but for now we still have ice.
For cottagers who have a slip, boats will be launched in the order that the slip agreements/payments are received. Our goal is to launch the primary boat of water access cottagers as priority, secondary boats will be done after all the backlog of water access cottager boats are finished.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.