Anstruther Marina in Apsley offers the best in bowrider, pontoon and canoe rentals . With our rental service, you now have the opportunity to spend the day on the water.
Plan an unforgettable experience aboard one of our rentals! Whether it’s for a fishing trip, a relaxing day paddling on the water with friends and family or for a sports activity, we have the equipment you need.
Our fleet of rental options include:
- Floater Mat Water Mats
Tried something you would like to purchase? Check out our new inventory and become the full time owner to enjoy it anytime!
For more information regarding our rentals, contact our team ! We will be happy to assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions …
Marina Faqs …
- IS THERE PARKING AT THE MARINA?
We have plenty of parking onsite, please come to the marina office for a parking pass. No vehicles are allowed in the parking area without a parking pass. Parking is $ 9 per day, we don’t charge by the night so stay overnight and as long as you are gone by 9am the next day, there is no second day charge.
- DO YOU SELL MAPS OF THE KAWARTHA HIGHLANDS PROVINCIAL PARK?
Yes, we buy maps from the Park and they are available in the Marina Store. Maps have detailed paddling routes as well as all campsites listed. Maps are $ 10 + HST.
- DO YOU SELL BAIT?
We sell worms but only during fishing season.
- DO YOU SELL FISHING LICENSES?
We do not sell fishing licenses. Check with Canadian Tire in Bancroft or MNR.
- WHAT WILDLIFE CAN BE SEEN IN THE AREA?
A lot. Moose, deer, beaver, bear, wolf, coyote, mink and of course we also have raccoon, they are not limited to just the city. Be aware that most of these animals are scared of you so you will be lucky to get a glimpse of one during your your visit but they are definitely there. Ensure that your food is hung and not lying around your campsite for safety. In addition to these animals, you will see ducks, loons, osprey and heron. Not an animal, more of a pest, mosquitoes, black flies and deer flies are everywhere in cottage country. If you forget to bring bug spray – we usually sell it – you’ll need it! These critters love it when the tourists arrive!
- WHAT KIND OF FISH ARE IN ANSTRUTHER LAKE?
Large mouth bass, small mouth bass, pickerel, lake trout and splake.
- HOW FAR IS APSLEY?
10 km from our lakeside location. You will find a gas station, food store (currently closed), hardware store and lcbo. A restaurant called the Swiss Bear is on hwy 28 just past the turnoff that leads to Apsley.
- ARE THERE RESTAURANTS NEARBY?
A restaurant called the Swiss Bear is on hwy 28 just past the turnoff that leads to Apsley. Fantastic schnitzel and pasteries.
- ARE THERE WALKING TRAILS CLOSEBY?
No. Also note that while it is beautiful here, for security reasons, we only allow parking for guests of cottagers and those conducting business with the marina (restaurant guests, paddlers renting a canoe, boat sales etc). If you are looking for hiking trails, we suggest you go to either Warsaw Caves Park or Silent Lake Provincial Park.
- ARE THERE COTTAGES FOR RENT OR FOR SALE ON THE LAKE?Contact the marina for more information 705-656-4783
- ARE RESERVATIONS REQUIRED AND HOW FAR IN ADVANCE DO I NEED TO RESERVE?
Reservations can be made on our website by clicking on the ‘rental’ menu. Reservations are not required however, if you come here and all boats are already reserved, you might be disappointed. If we do have availability, you are good to go. Canoes are often booked months in advance for the bumper weeks of long weekends and in general, we are sold out for July and August though sometimes they can be booked as close as a few days before the desired date.
- DO YOU PROVIDE TRAINING?
No, we do not provide training on how to paddle. We simply rent the boats as you would when you rent skiis or a car.If you have never paddled before, we strongly suggest taking a course prior to the rental. If we observe what we feel to be unsafe skills, we reserve the right to cancel the rental and no refund will be provided.
- ARE LIFE JACKETS, PADDLES & SAFETY KITS PROVIDED?
Use of paddles, PFDs and safety kits are included with all rentals.
- DO YOU HAVE KEVLAR/LIGHTWEIGHT CANOES?
We do not have kevlar boats. Kevlar is very ‘damagable’ and while it is lighter than a traditional fibreglass or polyethelene canoe, this terrain is very rocky and risk of damage is very high. This isn’t good for you as it could mean that you leave without getting your damage deposit back and for the rental facility, it isn’t good as it will put that boat out of commission until repaired. Kevlar is also much more expensive meaning that the daily rental rate would be significantly more.
- DO YOU HAVE CANOES THAT FIT 3 PEOPLE?
Our canoes are for two people (or one). We do not allow three people in one canoe.
- DO YOU DELIVER CANOES TO ACCESS POINT 5 OR TO WOLF LAKE?
We do not deliver canoes. If you are starting out from access point 5, you could very easily start out from the marina instead. Rather than shuffling back/forth with your vehicle/gear, come directly here, check in/complete paperwork, park, load the canoe and launch. Easy peasy. The canoes are located 10 ft from shore. The only difference being that there is a parking fee of $9/day/vehicle.
- IS THERE A WATER TAXI TO PICK US UP FROM OUR CAMPSITE?
Nope.While we do have a water taxi, it is for people, cottagers and their guests. Paddlers/campers would have a canoe with them and the water taxi is not for people AND canoes. The water taxi also is limited to this lake only and is very much subject to weather and someone on staff with a Pleasure Craft Operator card being onsite.
- MAY WE LEAVE THE BOAT AFTER YOU ARE CLOSED ON RETURNING FROM OUR TRIP?
No. The canoe must be checked in with a staff member during business hours and the return inspection will be done with you present. There is also a risk that equipment might not be found or could be stolen while it is still considered to be in your care. Please only book a canoe if you know you are able to return during our business hours. Also note that late returns will obligate staff to wait for your return and you will be charged a late return fee.
- DO YOU DO 1/2 DAY RENTALS OR HOURLY RENTALS? No. Our reservation system blocks off canoes and kayaks by the day, specifically, 9am-4pm. If you do not require the rental for this long, you may return it earlier however it must be during business hours. Note that the cost is still the same as a full day.
- IS THERE A TAP FOR PUBLIC USE WITH POTABLE WATER?
No. The washroom taps are not shaped to accommodate water bottles and we do not allow our staff to take customer water bottles to the restaurant kitchen for filling. We do have bottled water available for purchase in several sizes if you need water.
- IS THERE AN AREA TO EAT OUR LUNCH?
We are a private business and do not have public picnic facilities, we do have a restaurant onsite that may be open depending on your arrival and departure time but we do not allow outside food or drink in the designated restaurant space. The area where launching is done is a fluid area with much foot traffic and vehicle/boat launching by our cottagers so after taking care of payment and paperwork, we ask that paddlers quickly launch and load their canoes. For security reasons, we allow visitors to wander to other areas of the property.
- HOW FAR IS THE FIRST PORTAGE?
If heading toward Rathbun Lake, it will typically take about an hour of paddling to get to the first portage. This timing depends on several factors including your skill and weather conditions. We do not offer water taxis to the portage so it’s all you.
- WHERE CAN WE LEAVE OUR GARBAGE AFTER OUR TRIP?Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park has a ‘leave no trace’ policy. This means that you need to take all garbage away with you at the end of your camping trip. There is a transfer station about 3/4 of the way down Anstruther Lake Road where you can leave your garbage. We do not accept garbage from campers, like you in the city, we are limited to 2 bags of garbage and with the number of paddlers that come through, this limitation means we cannot accept visitor’s trash.
- HOW FAR IS ACCESS POINT 5 (ANSTRUTHER LAKE ACCESS)? Access point 5 is approximately 2 km from the marina, and the cutoff for it is passed on the way to the marina on Anstruther Lake Road. Watch for the signage.
- DO YOU HAVE ROOF RACK EQUIPMENT FOR MY VEHICLE SO THAT I CAN TRANSPORT THE CANOE?
Roof racks are not provided as part of the rental but we do sell packages in our store for approximately $45. For liability reasons, you must secure the canoe yourself.
- WHEN DOES THE RENTAL BEGIN/END
Canoe rentals begin at 9am on the date of the reservation and end at 4pm the day the canoe is due back. If it is a one day rental, it is due back by 4pm the same day. If it is a 2 day rental, you may pick up the canoe as early as 9am the day your rental starts and it must be returned by 4pm the next day. You have paid for that reservation day so take advantage of it and arrive as early as possible. If you are unable to arrive early, it’s ok, you can be confident that the canoe will be waiting for you as it is reserved in your name. Ensure you arrive no later than one hour before dusk, our policy is that we will not release a canoe after that time for safety reasons as there is a lot of motor boat activity on the lake at night and travelling on the lake in a canoe is not safe. If you want to return it earlier, you may but there are no refunds for early returns. We do not allow cancellations or refunds.
Motor Boat Rental Faqs…
- ARE RESERVATIONS REQUIRED AND HOW FAR IN ADVANCE DO I NEED TO RESERVE?
Reservation can be made online under the icon ‘Rentals’ on the menu bar. Reservations are not required however, if you come here and all boats are already reserved, you might be disappointed so best to reserve in advance. If we do have availability, you are good to go. We have many regular clients who book every year. Motor boats are are often booked months in advance for the bumper weeks of long weekends and in general, we are sold out for July and August though sometimes they can be booked as close as a few days before the desired date.
- DO YOU RENT JET SKIIS?
No, but we do sell Jet Skiis if you’d like one to keep.
- WILL THE RENTAL BOAT BE FULL OF FUEL?
Motor boats are full of fuel at the time of rental however you are responsible for the cost of fuel used. You can either fill the boat before returning it or we can fill it for you here and we will bill you for the cost of the fuel. Note that boats MUST be filled with Premium ethanol free fuel. The price of regular or cheap fuel might be an enticing alternative but it can affect the performance of the boat and if you full the boat with lower grade fuel that causes problems that require an emergency visit from our mechanic, you will be charged for the emergency visit.
- IS THERE A MINIMUM AGE FOR RENTALS?
Minimum age to rent a motor boat is 25.
- WHAT IS THE CANCELLATION POLICY?
We do not accept cancellations, all bookings are final. Please ensure your plans are firm at the time of reservation. Once the booking is complete, everyone else that might call inquiring about the boat will be turned away.
- WHAT IS THE RENTAL START/END TIME?
Motor boat rentals begin at 9am on the first day of rental and end at 5pm on the final day of rental. Arrive as early as possible on the first day to fully benefit from your rental. If you have booked the boat for delivery, it will leave the marina at 9am and you have booked a pickup, it must be back at the marina by 5pm so will be picked up earlier to allow return time.
- ARE PETS ALLOWED ON BOARD THE BOAT?
We do not allow pets on board as as there is a risk of damage to flooring and upholstery.
- IS A TUBE INCLUDED IN THE RENTAL?
Tubes, waterskiis and wakeboards are available for purchase but are not included in the boat rental. We do not rent these items.
- I AM CONSIDERING PURCHASING A BOAT, IF I LIKE THE RENTAL, ARE THEY AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE?
Absolutely. Call our office to inquire about pricing.
- I DO NOT HAVE A PLEASURECRAFT OPERATOR CARD BUT HAVE DRIVEN BOATS SINCE I WAS A CHILD, MAY I RENT A BOAT WITHOUT THE CARD?
Sorry, if you have been boating that long, you must know what you are doing but we still require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card. While you can reserve a boat without it, if you arrive and are unable to produce one, we will not release the boat. You can do the test online through various websites, as long as you provide the temporary Card sent on completion of the test, you can rent the boat.