Good progress today as you will have seen if you are watching the webcam. The wind is in a favorable direction, the sun is hot, the white ice is turning dark. The ice in front of the marina has shrunk considerably though it is still there.
We still have ice though it looks like it may have shrunk to the right of the marina. Looking down to the south end, all we can see is ice so it's really only the stretch from Mittelstaedt area over to The Landing that is open. This is also the boundary from the ice on the marina side that meets water on the Found Island side. We have heard from someone in the South end that a large part of the ice is gone from that part of the lake.
We have had several inquiries for launching to allow a visit this weekend. We will do our best to get everyone launched on their ideal date but please make sure to call before coming. Launching this week is not likely because of the ice. Even if we were to lose the ice tomorrow, the gas dock and Barge dock need to be installed to facilitate launches. That hasn't been done yet because the ice is still there. We are prepping the Marina boats so they are ready to go for when these docks are able to be done.
Good morning - it's a beautiful sunny day. Fairly wind-free, so a good day to lose the ice. Yes, we still have ice. Temps last night were in the minus single digits.
It is April 12th, sorry for the long delay in updating, we have had other distractions.
The Store is currently under renovation with the floor being replaced to blend in with the pine in the restaurant. Our carpenter is now building new cabinetry to accommodate the weight of the marine products.
Because of the Dock building side of the business, we were at the Cottage Life Show for docks. We left for Toronto on Thurs Mar 31st, the rain came down so hard, at times it was hard to see out the windshield. At that point of time, the water levels in the lake were exceptionally high. The lake had risen probably 2-3 feet over a period of a week or two. This is really bad. the Boathouse structures were still frozen in ice, the new water caused them to push up but being still stuck in ice, this cause damage. We heard the day after we arrived in Toronto that the rain that we had overnight caused the lake to rise further and was within a foot of the concrete pad of the gaspump and was one rainfall away from expanding into the parking lot. This was the breaking point. The damage to the boathouses was significant. Every ramp is damaged, one roof is tipping into the lake and another roof had the edging ripped off and is resting in the lake. Boathouse 'b' is now in the small bay where the utility dock is usually kept. We are attending to the repairs as quickly as possible as we do not want any boats in boathouses until they are safe.
Ice...While the other side of our part of the lake is thawed and is water, there is a mass of ice in front of the marina still. We had snow this morning and all water at shore's edge still refreezes overnight. We've heard the south end is largely open. The upcoming mild temps may take care of the mass in front of us. Keep an eye on the webcam for the status.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.