For those curious...there is no snow on the ground but it's damp, cold and wet. The lake is still very much water, we have no signs of ice. We understand that lakes north of us are already frozen over but we all know Anstruther is the last to freeze/last to thaw. We have filled the visitor's parking and much of the back lot parking with shrinkwrapped boats for the winter season.
Winter parking passes for the season are not yet ready but will be soon. If you are coming up during the winter, daily parking is $8 or have a 2018 winter seasonal parking pass displayed. Please come to the office to pick up your seasonal pass or to purchase your daily pass.
The docks will be disengaged today.
We first disengaged the boat docks (formerly the boathouses) in the fall a few years ago. As we all know, the marina is located in a vulnerable part of the lake and each spring we are at risk for ice damage. Every year, ramps that were connected to shore were damaged/crushed as small movements of the boathouses happened when the ice moved. This damage meant there was a cost in labour and material to repair them at a point that we were pressed for time in the spring launch.
We began disengaging the boat docks in an effort to remove the pressure put on the ramps/minimize damage. The boathouses were then 'free' to shift around with the moving ice. This change helped a lot. It has minimized our damage meaning that rather than assigning staff to significant and numerous repairs, we were able to move forward with opening the season.
A reminder that will come several more times before the spring...beginning in the spring of 2018, slips will not be available for use until 2 weeks after the day the ice is gone.
Most cottagers probably don't know the logistics behind opening for the season, and shouldn't have to but it might help to better understand 'Why 2 weeks?'...
Safety. Might seem like a long time but like our clients, our staff have 2 days off each week so in a 2 week period, it's 4 inactive days and of the 11 work days - we can count on at least 5 being 'not safe to work on the water' due to weather conditions (rain!). We also never know how significant our damage is going to be, one year we lost an entire boathouse meaning it took longer to for us to 'open' the boat docks for use. We know everyone wants to get to their cottage asap, there is significant pressure from cottagers each spring for use of their boat and slip 'the day we lose the ice' or asap thereafter, however, we cannot allow this until repairs have been done. In addition to repairs, the barge and fuel docks have to be re-engaged and the boat slips have been re-engaged to shore. We want to do what we can to ensure you get to your cottage but we have to balance that out with safety and what's realistically possible. So, two weeks after we lose the ice is when slips may be used.
This is a new policy and it is an absolute firm policy - No exceptions to the two week period - Please don't call to ask for an exception. There will be no early/temporary use on the barge dock either, that space is needed for the marina. This is about safety, not to keep you from your cottage. Anyone that cannot wait still has the option to launch/remove at the public launch during that 2 week period.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.